Join WAO and be part of para-counsellor by joining Para Counsellor Training Program to help women in crisis.
Para-Counsellors assist women in crisis through the WAO Hotline.
The Para-Counsellor will be trained on :
- Empathetic listening skills
- Risk and Needs assessment
- Knowledge on Violence Against Women (VAW)
- Knowledge on Legal Matters (Application of Interim Protection Order, Protection Order; Divorce, Custody and Maintainence)
You will benefit from 36 hours of training with WAO professional staff, which includes skill and knowledge-based workshops and practicums. Sessions are facilitated and supervised by staff who have years of on the ground experience.
The training sessions will be held on Saturdays, beginning April 16, 2016. This covers:
- Two full Saturdays (6 hours) on April 16 and April 23
- Four half-Saturdays (3 hours - AM or PM slot available) on May 14, May 28, June 11, or June 25
- A half day (3 hours) on July 9
- Practicum (6 hours)
As a Para-Counsellor, you must commit to:
- 3 hours slot per week
- On-going training sessions and refresher course
We will be conducting a pre-training briefing on April 9 for interested volunteers.
The course fees is RM 200, for a 36 hour program which is equivalent to RM 5.50 per hour. The funds will be used to conduct refresher courses for para-counsellors.
To register, please fill in the application form and bank-in the course fee to WAO's Public Bank account 4 - 5230685 -13 and email the bank-in slip together with the registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every year WAO is helped by many volunteers. Their help is invaluable. We are always looking for volunteers, but we do need people who are able to make a regular commitment in any of the following areas:
- Organise activities for the children.
- Organise activities for the women, for example, craft sessions, language classes, cookery lessons, computer skills, or another idea you have which you would like to share.
- Teach the children at the Refuge and Child Care Centre
- Spending time and listening to the women and children
- Provide transport and accompany women who need to make police reports, go the hospital or run errands.
- Help out at fundraising and/or public education events
- Help out with administrative work at WAO
If you are able to make that commitment, please fill in the volunteer application form and send it to email@example.com.