WAO's criterion for an internship is a feminist who is able to work with women and children. Knowledge on the issues related to Violence Against Women (VAW) and a background or interest in gender will be most useful.
WAO provides internship opportunities all year round to local and international interns. If you are interested in working in a challenging and diverse environment, we encourage you to apply. You need to have the ability to be versatile and be adaptable to variety of tasks. Tasks vary according to the work and centre of choice for the Internship.
WAO has three main centres: The Refuge, Child Care Centre & the WAO Centre.
Some potential tasks and projects include:
- Counselling women & children (only students of Psychology. Counselling or related majors)
- Conducting research in a relevant, current or developing a new research area
- Organising activities/programmes for women & children
- Assisting in administrative work (answering phone calls etc.)
- Accompanying women to court and police station
WAO Child Care Centre
- Assisting child minders with daily activities
- Organising activities for children:
- Language classes (English, Malay, Mandarin, Tamil)
- Assisting children with school work
- Providing extra tuition classes
- Organising fun, interactive event/activities for children
- Work on lobbying for women's rights
- Work with other NGOs projects based/ joint initiatives
- Conducting research on the Domestic Violence Act (DVA)
- To conduct research on religion and the rights of women
- Assist in writing & editing newsletter
- Assisting in administrative work
- Attending and assisting in public education booths
WAO provides internship opportunities all year round to local and international interns. You can choose to work between the Refuge, the Child Care Centre or the WAO Office depending on your area of interest or study. Please note that this is an unpaid position.
You can find out more about available internships here.
- See more at: http://www.wao.org.my/Employment_117_4_1.htm#sthash.hJQuKtnZ.dpuf
* Please note that if you wish to intern at the WAO Centre, you are expected to have a research topic prepared. We understand that the topic may change over the course of your internship, but it is compulsory you have one when joining us. It is also a crucial factor that you are informed and up-to-date with feminist and human rights issues and discussions, and more importantly, passionate about women’s rights.
The internship application form is available here. If you have any questions, call us at 03 7957 5636. Please note that this is an unpaid position.